320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Boasting twenty one pulsating tracks drawn from the northern coasts of Colombia, ‘Palenque Palenque!’ reveals a unique and fascinating story of how Afro Colombian music developed from the 1970s onwards and how the local sound-systems in Cartagena and Barranquilla played such an important role in shaping the sound of the Colombian champeta.
Co-compiled by Lucas Silva (resident of Bogota and owner of Palenque Records) and Soundway Records’ Miles Cleret, the album highlights the long relationship that the Caribbean coast of Colombia has with Africa stretching back to the 17th century. Specifically, the rise of the percussion heavy champeta sound, born out of a wave of popularity for psychedelic Afro, Latin & Caribbean music inspired by the DJs of the time.
“Every track on this revelatory compilation throws a new element into the oddball mix.” The Telegraph 5/5
“Abelardo! It’s great music, and it fills a space, stylistically and sonically, that was previously empty.” Pitchfork 8.2
- 1 Esclavo Moderno Manuel Alvarez y Sus Dangers 2:55 Buy
- 2 Bumburumbumbum Cassimbas Negras 3:34 Buy
- 3 Palenque Abelardo Carbonó y su Conjunto 3:56 Buy
- 4 Tungalala (El Sapo) Son Palenque 3:32 Buy
- 5 Naga Pedale Cumbia Sigo XX 3:27 Buy
- 6 Pim Pom Wganda Kenya 4:17 Buy
- 7 Dejala Corre Banda Los Hijos de La Niña Luz 3:28 Buy
- 8 Puyalo Ahi Pedro Beltran 3:02 Buy
- 9 Tetero Cumbia Moderna De Soledad 3:10 Buy
- 10 Quiero a Mi Gente Abelardo Carbonó y su Conjunto 3:46 Buy