320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Soundway Records present ‘Africa Special’, a digital only collection that draws on some the best songs from their genre defining African compilations ('Ghana Special', 'Nigeria Special' & 'Kenya Special'). Compiled by label boss Miles Cleret, ‘Africa Special’ focuses on tracks that are particularly 'African' in sound as opposed the US influenced 'Afro' records that also feature on these compilations. From Ghanaian highlife to Nigerian blues, Kenyan benga and Congolese influenced sounds, ‘Africa Special’ is a condensed volume featuring musicians from all over Africa that were resident in Nigeria, Ghana and Kenya in the 1960s, 70s & 80s (the golden era of African music).
The earliest Soundway compilation to feature on this new compilation is the now seminal ‘Nigeria Special: Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds & Nigerian Blues 1970-6’. Described by NPR as "essential", 'Nigeria Special' was the start of a series that spawned the equally vital ‘Ghana Special: Modern Highlife, Afro Sounds & Ghanaian Blues 1968 – 1981’ and this year’s acclaimed ‘Kenya Special: Selected East African Recordings from the 1970s & ‘80s’.
Digital Track List
- 1 Belema Opotopo 6:14 Buy
- 2 I Go Die for You Kyeremateng 5:22 Buy
- 3 Kivelenge Kalambya Boys 5:39 Buy
- 4 Wendo Ti Mbia Gatanga Boys Band 3:23 Buy
- 5 Akampanye The Sweet Talks 4:27 Buy
- 6 Nekwaha Semi Colon The Semi Colon 3:31 Buy
- 7 Mu Africa The Rift Valley Brothers 5:14 Buy
- 8 Wompe Masem The African Brothers International Band 4:19 Buy
- 9 Ochea Special Paulson Kalu Afrikhanah and His Stars 25 3:17 Buy
- 10 Arraino Popular Cooper and His All Beats Band 3:04 Buy