Vinyl 2×LP + 7”$31.99
Gatefold Vinyl 2LP + 7"Read More
- + MP3
- + WAV / FLAC
With extended liner notes in large 8-page booklet
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Padang Moonrise is the story of modern Indonesian music that emerged underneath the volcanoes of Java and Sumatra. Java, the most populous island in the archipelago of over 17,000 islands and 1300 distinct ethnic groups, and its capital city Jakarta, was where most of the post-colonial national identity, politics, administration and music production was centred.
Traditional songs from Java, Sumatra, Bali and beyond were re-imagined by a small group of state-sponsored musicians that also composed and arranged new music. These songs aimed at consolidating a geographically disparate country with a new language and new ideas of national character. This compilation brings together a handful of these recordings that combine elements of regional popular music, Islamic Gambus, Javanese & Balinese Gamelan and Kroncong, with jazz, Afro-latin music & instrumentation, and vocal harmonies influenced by banned American doo-wop and rock & roll.
The results are a unique blend of styles that have remained mostly insulated from the world outside of Indonesia until a recent worldwide resurgence in the interest of recorded music of all forms has shone a new light on these nearly forgotten recordings.
Compiled by Miles Cleret | Artwork by Lewis Heriz | Mastering by Dan Elleson | Lacquer cuts by Frank Merritt | Layout by Meurig Rees
- 1 Bulan Dagoan Orkes Teruna Ria 3:16 Buy
- 2 Gumbira Yanti Bersaudara 2:23 Buy
- 3 Tepui Tepui Orkes Suita Rama 3:07 Buy
- 4 Djaleuleudja Band Nada Kentjana 2:55 Buy
- 5 Nganggo Teklek Nang Krikilan Orkes Lokananta 3:06 Buy
- 6 Budjang Talalai Orkes Teruna Ria 3:36 Buy
- 7 Ya Mahmud Orkes Kelana Ria 3:12 Buy
- 8 Geleang Sapi Orkes Teruna Ria 3:19 Buy
- 9 Ampat Lima Dalam Djambangan Zaenal Combo 3:17 Buy
- 10 Seruling Zaenal Combo 2:49 Buy