Nigeria Special 2 is the second part to the best selling Nigeria Special album released to critical acclaim in 2007 and further extends the look at the most exciting period in Nigeria’s recording history.
The range of styles vary from highlife to Juju and Nigerian blues in the languages of Yoruba, Igbo, Bini and Ijaw. With a peppering of ’afro’ experimentation the same musical stew pervades volume 2 as it’s predecessor – some artists appear again alongside some new artists as the emphasis continues to focus on the laid back and mid tempo feel found on volume 1.
1970′s Nigeria was a time that allowed Nigerian bands more freedom to record their own style than ever before. Highlife, afrobeat, rock, jazz & native blues rubbed shoulders and were turned out at unprecedented levels. Nigeria Special 2 features five of the artists on the previous volume leaving space for a choice selection of some of the hundreds of other recording artists that were active in Nigeria at the time.
The CD is presented with a full colour 24-page booklet with nuggets of historical information and a background to the scene at the time.
“Yep, there was a lot going on down in Nigeria way in the early ’70s and this is the only guide book you’ll need.” -Clash
- 1 Psychedelic Baby Fubura Sekibo 3:10
- 2 Shango Oba Onina Blacks Zenith 3:01
- 3 Totobiroko (Ogbele) Twins Seven-Seven and His Golden Cabretas 2:53
- 4 Ibi Awo Iyi The Professional Seagulls Dance Band of Port Harcourt 4:11
- 5 Omohupa The Otarus 3:35
- 6 The Lords Prayer The Don Isaac Ezekiel Combination 3:13
- 7 Agboyabakpa James Etamobe and His All Weather Band 3:07
- 8 Onwu Dinjo The People Star 6:51
- 9 Jeka Dubu Bola Johnson and His Easy Life Top Beats 3:01
- 10 Jekoyewa Emporor Dele Ojo and His African Internationals 5:18