CD, 2×CD$11.99Read More
- + MP3
In stock, shipping now.
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
The World Ends showcases a wave of guitar driven and psychedelic groups that sprung up in Nigeria during the early 1970s. Featuring 32 electrifying and funk laden grooves, this is the sound of a generation attempting to pick up the pieces after the devastation of the Nigerian civil war.
Spread over 2 CDs and 2 triple gatefold LPs, this bumper collection is brimming with youthful exuberance, fuzzed out guitar and cosmic organ vibes and owes much to the psychedelic sounds of Jim Morrison, Santana, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane and James Brown.
As the summer of love was blossoming in London and San Francisco, Nigeria was imploding into civil war. Also known as the Biafran war of 1967, it was a grisly conflict taking over three million lives yet at the same time as the country was being pulled apart there was a new world beginning. The tracks featured represent a forgotten chapter in Nigeria’s musical history when the youth threw their varied morsels into the pot from hard rock to psychedelic soul when guitars were cherished instruments, symbolic of a new movement, when highlife and Afrobeat played second fiddle to ‘the beat’. REVIEWS “What an extraordinary collection!" The Sunday Times
“This double disc stands out as a relentless dance-floor scorcher” Spin Magazine 9/10
Digital Track List
- 1 Nwantinti Die Die Ify Jerry Krusade 3:01 Buy
- 2 Rough Rider The Hygrades 3:54 Buy
- 3 Deiyo Deiyo (Akpuwunlobi) The Hykkers 3:03 Buy
- 4 Soundway Wrinkar Experience 3:02 Buy
- 5 Breakthrough The Funkees 3:27 Buy
- 6 Mr. Bull Dog (45 version) The Mebusas 4:02 Buy
- 7 Don't Take Me for a Ride Foundars 15 4:43 Buy
- 8 Eti Ufok Ceejebs 3:40 Buy
- 9 Yem Efe Tony Grey Super 4:58 Buy
- 10 Akwa Kayi Ji Bia Nuwa The Identicals 5:29 Buy