- + MP3
In stock, shipping now.
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Soundway steps back into Africa with thirty-three original and previously un-reissued tracks from Ghana delivering a follow on of sorts from the hugely successful CD/LP Nigeria Special.
Ghana Special represents nearly ten years of on-going research in and around the cities of Accra, Tema, Cape Coast, Takoradi and Kumasi, knocking on musician’s doors and visiting ex-distributors, DJs, collectors, manufacturers and shop owners who helped piece the story together.
The roots of this project goes back to a pair of albums named Ghana Soundz (Volumes 1 and 2), which focussed solely on the ‘funkier’ side of the same period. Alongside new artists and groups, some other works of the many musicians and producers Cleret met whilst researching those records are also included here. Many of these tracks have remained only in people’s memories or in collections of LPs that sit unplayed: until now of course.
Ghana Special comes as a double CD hardback case-bound book and 5LP vinyl box set. Both the CD and boxset features a booklet full of history, photographs and original record scans. The 5xLP boxset comes with bonus tracks, unavailable on the CD.
“Rare and glitteringly good” -The Guardian
“Little-heard music from the ’60s and ’70s now pours out of archives from Accra, Lagos and Cotonou – But this collection stands out.” -New York Times
Digital Track List
- 1 Kai Wawa The Mercury Dance Band 3:00 Buy
- 2 Owuo Adaadaa Me T. O. Jazz 2:51 Buy
- 3 Din Ya Sugri Christy Azuma and Uppers International 7:02 Buy
- 4 Aaya Lolo The Barbecues 3:48 Buy
- 5 Ohiani Sua Efir Asaase Ase 4:02 Buy
- 6 Bofoo Beye Abowa Den St. Peter and The Holy Men 3:14 Buy
- 7 Nye Asem Hwe City Boys Band 4:51 Buy
- 8 Edinya Benya Hedzoleh Soundz 3:17 Buy
- 9 Hwehwe Mu Yi Mpena The Cutlass Dance Band 3:17 Buy
- 10 Sei Nazo Dr. K. Gyasi and His Noble Kings 3:02 Buy