320 kbps, LAME-encoded
'Batida' is the brainchild of Angolan / Portuguese DJ Mpula aka Pedro Coquenão. A distinctly modern and vibrant project with its feet firmly rooted in the past, Batida combine samples from old 1970s Angolan tracks with modern electronic dance music. Music is the starting point but through dance, graphics, photography, radio and video, Batida expands, taking in politics and social commentary but always bringing it back to the party.
Whereas nearly all of kuduro (Angolan electronic music) has no links with its country’s musical heritage, it is deeply engrained in Batida’s music. Sampling tracks from 1970s Angola, Batida is a reinterpretation of Angola’s musical past, bringing it firmly into the modern day.
REVIEWS “Slippery guitars of classic African dance-band music and a touch of pumping super-modern bass.” The Telegraph
“It may well be a game-changing 21st century electronic African dance album” Songlines
- 1 Pronto Pra Batida Batida 0:13 Buy
- 2 Alegria Batida 3:35 Buy
- 3 Yumbala Batida 3:28 Buy
- 4 Tirei o Chapéu Batida 3:33 Buy
- 5 Puxa Batida 4:09 Buy
- 6 Bazuka (Quem Me Rusgou) Batida 3:51 Buy
- 7 Tribalismo Batida 4:23 Buy
- 8 Ka Heueh Batida 4:08 Buy
- 9 Saudade Batida 3:10 Buy
- 10 Cuka Batida 4:09 Buy
- 11 Ngongo J'ami (Bonus Track - Exclusive Batida Remix) Carlos Lamartine 3:03 Buy